InSphere Logo

HomeTerraflex - ESRI ArcMap Plugin

Discussions relating to the ESRI ArcMap plug in

Downloading Photos Workflow Messages in this topic - RSS

ktjohnson_11

9/16/2016
I'm currently in the process of updating a sign inventory and struggling to get an efficient workflow for downloading photos back into the office. As I see it, my only option is to download the forms back into the office as an attachment with the photos saved in the cloud, then going one by and saving the photo on my computer. Is there a more efficient way of moving the photos seamlessly?
0 link
Tom H
Administrator

9/21/2016
Hi Ktjohnson

What type of workflow are you currently using?
Whats your corporate GIS software?
edited by Tom H on 9/21/2016
0 link
ktjohnson_11

9/21/2016
ArcGIS 10.2 is the current software. I'm using ArcMap plugin with the attachment option on the feature class. When I download the field collected form back in the office I am able to view the attachment, but I'd like to be able to have a field populated with the image file name and all the photos taken out in the field to be in a separate file folder so I can create a hyperlink to the sign photo. With the attachment option I'd have to go one by one through every photo I collected and saving them on my desktop. Is there a more efficient way?

Currently, I have opted to use the Insphere uploader route so I will have the images saved in a folder to create a hyperlink to, but this adds the extra step of using insphere to export.
0 link
Tom H
Administrator

9/22/2016
If you are working within ArcGIS using the Terraflex Add In, the most efficient method is to use attachments.

Attachments allow you to add files to individual features and can be images, PDFs, text documents, or any other type of file (ESRI ArcGIS Help)For more on this take a look at the Enabling attachments section in the ArcGIS online help

To enable attachments, open ArcCatalog browse to your gdb then right click on the feature class and 'enable attachments'

When a feature class has attachments enabled and you push the schema across to Terraflex, the attachment is interpreted as a Photo field and is added to your form template (so there's no need to define a separate photo field).
You can then use this to take multiple images that are sync'd directly back from the cloud into your geodatabase.

To view the images you are best using the HTML Pop up tool instead of the 'Identify feature tool'. HTML pop ups give you a nice preview window and can be customised. You can use the Identify tool but it's a bit more cumbersome accessing the images

The other option would be to export the form data directly from Terraflex cloud by logging into your organisation.
Under the export options we have the option to include the images as files or hyperlinks. If you choose files then this will download all the images into a folder along with the export.

#TrimbleSupport
#Terraflex
edited by Tom H on 2/7/2017
0 link
ktjohnson_11

9/22/2016
Will the cloud link to the photos still be available if I don't renew my terraflex subscription?
0 link
Tom H
Administrator

9/26/2016
Hi Ktjohnson_11

The photo hyperlinks will still be available for a short period of time after you stop your subscription but our terms of use ( section 15. Deletion of Data) state that we may delete data for expired subscriptions.

-
edited by Tom H on 9/26/2016
0 link