InSphere Logo

HomeTerraflex - ESRI ArcMap Plugin

Discussions relating to the ESRI ArcMap plug in

Using the plugin to create a project Messages in this topic - RSS

AT@CP

6/14/2016
I'm new to TerraFlex and am using the plugin for ArcMap for the first time. Right now I'm on the free trial, but expect to upgrade to the advanced license once that's up.

I'm trying to create my first project, but it keeps giving me the error, "Map document must include at least one feature layer."

The map document has been saved and I have two different shapefiles loaded into it, a line and a polygon file, that each do have features in them. Is there something I'm missing or doing incorrectly?

Thanks for any help!
0 link
Tom H
Administrator

6/14/2016
You'll need to create a geodatabase and import the shapefiles into that (as feature classes).

The Terraflex Add-in User Guide is a good resource for this if you're new to it

-
edited by Tom H on 6/14/2016
0 link
AT@CP

6/15/2016
I guess there's no workaround to this when working with the plugin? You have to work with a geodatabase rather than individual shapefiles?

We, generally speaking, do not work with geodatabases due to the nature of our data and the need to share certain files with outside groups easily.

Thanks for the link to the user guide. It's been a good resource for getting started with the plugin.
0 link
tiffanypuett

10/25/2017
Shapefiles are considered lo-fidelity data. While it is easier to share data among non-esri users, geodatabase offers a lot more functionality than shapefiles. For example, model specific behaviors with topology and geometric networks. Specify a specific list of values for a certain attribute. For example fitting type could be valve, tee, etc. Think of all the ways you can misspell these values when not using a domain. Not too mention the additional values you would get if you mix upper-case and lower-case. Now try and symbolize your map on valve (with all of the misspellings, Fun, right? Now let's talk about how field names in shapefiles can only have 10 characters. Pretend that you send some points to your client that have attributes named Location_Address and Location_Number. When you export to shp, all you get is Location1, Location2...I recommend using gdb's whenever possible. When a customer asks for data, it take s 2 seconds to expor to shp. Don't let others disintegrate the integrity of your date or your workflows...
0 link