InSphere Logo

HomeInSphere - General

General Discussion

Battery Communications Failure. Messages in this topic - RSS

mestrada

7/1/2016
Battery Error

Battery Communications Failure. Battery may not be installed properly or is malfunctioning.

The above two lines are the popup message currently displayed on the TrimbleGeo 7x. Additionally I see two battery icons in the status bar that is always displayed at the top of the screen. One battery icon contains a circle with a diagonal line through it and sits in the center position of the status bar. The second battery icon has an exclamation attached to its right side and is located next to the time icon on the right side of the screen.

Clicking on either icon bring up the drop down menu at the top of the screen that contains colorful icons such as the blue and silver battery icon with the red circle containing a slash. Clicking on this icon manually brings up the Battery Error message mentioned above. One other colorful battery icon is the blue and silver battery icon that provides information on battery status when clicked.

The status reported by the handheld device at the moment is
Main battery: Unknown
Battery power remaining:
(I'd guess 15%)

Installed on: 7/1/16 10:06 am.

Today's date is shown because one of the trouble shooting steps I tried was to shutdown the Trimble Geo 7x and then take out the battery. I was wondering if just reinserting the battery would reset the battery connection. That was not the case.

Other symptoms:
1. I checked the charge on the battery when it was not in the device. The green led lights on the battery all lit up when I pushed the battery button. I take this to mean the battery is fully charged.

2. Also of note when the battery is in the Trimble Geo 7x and the charging cord is plugged into the battery the light on the Trimble under the battery icon glows green. This also indicates the battery is charged.

3. Shutting down the Trimble was also an attempt to reset the software connection to the battery. This action did not impact the battery communication,

Thanks in advance to anyone who can either address the problem or point me to documentation that helps troubleshoot the situation.

Regards,
Miguel
0 link
Tom H
Administrator

7/1/2016
Hi Miguel

You should contact your local Trimble distributer. They can go through the troubleshooting steps you need to determine the HW fault here and can help you resolve or replace the equipment.

Follow the steps in Need Support? Here's what you should do to find out how to contact your local Trimble Reseller

-
edited by Tom H on 7/1/2016
0 link
mestrada

7/14/2016
I followed those steps and have a local Trimble Reseller looking at the device now. Thanks.
0 link
kyle.horvath

11/6/2017
Thread Revive!
Anyone have a resolution to this? I had the exact same issue as described above. I swapped batteries, and that didn't help. Also, installing the original battery in a different unit didn't cause an error. Thanks in advance
0 link
Zip13

10/23/2018
We had the same problem. Same errors.

Solution:
We cleaned the tarnish off the contacts on the battery pack with a pencil eraser. Slid it back in and it works like a charm now!
Still trouble-free 4 months later.
0 link
Tom H
Administrator

10/29/2018
Great tip Zip13 - thanks for sharing
0 link